If there is one thing that makes this type of candle so popular, it is that it contains only natural substances, so that people, who prefer to avoid the toxic substances contained in chemical repellents, can enjoy themselves. respite caused by insects.
The most common substance used in scented candles is lemongrass oil, effective in repelling mosquitoes when applied to the skin from a lotion. When it comes to scented candles, no other substance is used as much in scented candles as lemongrass oil.
This natural oil is a natural insect repellant, candles containing this substance have a long burning time and can easily be made at home. The main quality of lemongrass oil, whether applied to the skin or by other means, is to block the scents of our body that mosquitoes can detect, making the user more invisible to them.
When the scorched candles burn, the lemongrass oil evaporates from the candle and is released around the candle, making people and animals near the candle less visible to mosquitoes and other insects. Although some parasites detect heat or carbon dioxide from our bodies rather than smell.
What we present to you in the rest of this article are two varieties of scented candles to repel insects, they will meet your expectations in terms of repulsion and will keep your night attackers away from your home.
1- Citronella scented candles:
2 glass jars
2 floating candles the same size as the pots
2 sprigs of rosemary
10 sage leaves
10 sprigs of fresh lavender
10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
2 glasses of water (400 ml)
2 small ropes or ribbons to decorate the pots
– Start by cutting the lemons and limes into slices more or less a centimeter thick.
– Then put the aromatic plants in the pots.
– Distribute the rosemary, lavender, sage leaves well…
– On the aromatic plants, add the lemon slices.
– Then add 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil in each jar.
– Pour the water until it reaches a little more than half the amount.
– You can buy floating candles at any decoration or handicraft store. They are created to float on liquid surfaces but here they will also rest on citrus fruits.
– Finally, just decorate the glass jars. Wrap the opening of the pots with a ribbon or a small cord: tie a knot and admire the result.
Compact candles to scare away insects:
Our second proposal is refreshing scented candles. I settled on a woody combination of rosemary, geranium, and lavender oils – three scents known to repel mosquitoes and other insects.
250 g beeswax
Rosemary essential oil
Geranium essential oil
Lavender essential oil
– For these, you will spend more time in the kitchen. You will indeed have to melt the wax. But let’s proceed in stages.
– First thing: put the wicks in each pot. When you buy the candle wire, you will see that there is a small aluminum base.
– Put them in the center of each glass jar.
– Then put the empty jars in the oven to heat them.
– Just put them on the lowest temperature of your oven for 15-20 minutes. This will make the wax more compact when you pour it inside.
– Meanwhile, melt the beeswax in a saucepan over the heat.
– Once it reaches a consistency similar to olive oil, it is ready.
– Turn off the heat and add the 5 drops of each essential oil.
– Then put the melted wax in each jar, taking care not to burn yourself.
– Always remember that the spark plug wire must remain in the center.
– When it cools, cut the excess wire so that the wick is perfect.