Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicity

With the good comes the bad, and some herbs can cause allergic reactions or even affect your health and that of your family. To avoid any negative impact or health complications for you, your family and your pets, check out the following list of plants that may be dangerous in your environment:

1- The oleander:
As beautiful as it may seem, the oleander can endanger your safety and the safety of your pets. Its latex (milky juice) can irritate your skin, if you handle this plant without gloves. It also contains glycosides, a compound that causes symptoms such as shallow breathing, oral irritation, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, congested mucous membranes, sweating, diarrhea, excess salivation, nausea , incoordination and it can also be deadly for you.

However, if you have young children or pets especially cats, then this plant should be out of reach. If this plant comes into contact with fire, pay attention because its smoke is toxic.

2- Crown of Thorns:
This plant contains a toxic compound, diterpenic esters that can be dangerous for you and it can cause irritation of the mouth or irritation of the stomach followed by other symptoms such as upset stomach, vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea or cause swelling of the eyes and mouth.

3- Philodendrons:
This plant may not have serious effects on humans, but your animals may suffer from this plant. It contains insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate known as raphites that can be dangerous for you and especially for your pets.

If you come in contact with the sap of the plant, you may experience irritation, swollen tongue and lips as well as feel a burning sensation in the skin. While animals may have swollen tongue, breathing problems, increased salivation, seizures, vomiting, difficulty swallowing food and decreased alertness. Keep this plant out of reach, especially if you have animals.

4- Fern asparagus or Fern asparagus:

This beautiful plant is the worst enemy of pets. It has been proven that its leaves and berries are toxic, they contain a compound known as sapogenin and if your pet swallows it, it will cause vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

5- Caladium or Wings of Angels:

Its ability to decorate and refresh the place can never be questioned, but you should not overlook the fact that caladium contains toxic elements such as insoluble calcium oxalate and asparagine. If ingested, caladium may cause symptoms such as excessive drooling, irritation of the lips, mouth and tongue, difficulty swallowing, a hoarse voice, diarrhea and in the worst case scenario, coma or death. If you or your pets have signs, you should treat the affected areas immediately with warm water.

6- Elephant ear:

Stay away from the stems and leaves of this plant as they are dangerous for you, your family and your pets due to the presence of toxic elements like asparagine and oxalic acid. It’s a beautiful plant and maybe that’s why so many people forget that it can be dangerous for your environment.
Possible symptoms of ingestion of this plant are swelling of the mouth, throat or eyes as well as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Consult a doctor or veterinarian if you experience these symptoms.

7- Arrow plant:
Many people have it and few of them know about the toxic elements that this plant has, the most toxic part of this plant is the sap that contains oxalate crystals. You should always wear gloves when handling this plant because its sap can cause swollen mouth, throat and stomach as well as irritated skin.

Whereas, animals may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, excessive drooling, swollen mouth and difficulty swallowing. However, if you keep the plant out of reach and collect fallen or older leaves, you should be safe.

8- Dieffenbachia or Cannes dumb:
This plant contains toxic compounds known as asparagine and needle shaped calcium oxalate crystals in plant cells that can endanger your children and pets.

If swallowed, it may cause oral irritation, difficulty breathing and swallowing, swelling, intense numbness and excessive drooling. Keep this plant away from your animals and children.

9- Spathiphyllum or moon flower:

Also known as Mona Loa and Lily of the Peace, it is an attractive plant that contains toxic elements, dangerous for humans and pets. It contains lycorin alkaloid, which is toxic to humans and can cause the following symptoms: difficulty swallowing, swollen lips, tongue and mouth, and vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
It also contains insoluble calcium crystals and if the animal chews or swallows this plant, it can lead to mouth pain, vomiting, paw in the face, moss and drool. If you want to decorate your home with this plant, make sure your children or pets will not be near it.

10- Pothos or ivy of the devil:
This plant is dangerous for your animals in particular. It contains insoluble calcium oxalates and the symptoms of its ingestion are lack of appetite, vomiting, drooling as well as swollen lips or tongue.

11- Narcissus jonquilla or Daffodils:
This beautiful plant makes a perfect decoration for your backyard and maybe at home. However, its blisters can be toxic to humans as well as to pets.

Its bulbs are often taken for onions or shallots and if eaten, it can lead to serious stomach problems, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure and in the worst situations, death. To avoid this, keep your children and pets away from this plant.

Small Note:
** Know that having one of these plants in your home will not be dangerous in itself, because they will not attack you directly, but when you have children or pets, it is better to take great precautions; We still recommend less risky choices **


facebook - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicitytwitter - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicitylinkedin - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicityrss - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicityyoutube - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicityinstagram - Indoor plants to avoid because of their toxicity

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *