Acetaminophen is one of the most popular drugs in the world for pain and fever relief. This substance is not dangerous when used correctly, but it has the potential to be, especially if it is absorbed over a long period. In general, it is mainly the liver that pays the highest price.
Acetaminophen is part of the group of analgesic drugs, it carries risks when the dose is too high or if the period of taking is very prolonged. It can then cause liver damage and, in severe cases, acute liver failure, which can lead to death.
According to Dr. Michael Rieder, a clinical pharmacologist specializing in pediatrics at Western University in London, Ontario, “It is the leading cause of liver damage, period.” Long-term consumption of acetaminophen can also be dangerous even at low doses.
In addition, at doses slightly higher than those recommended over time, acetaminophen can be even more deadly than a massive overdose. Acetaminophen is a toxin for the liver. Those with liver conditions, such as hepatitis or fatty liver, should avoid acetaminophen or any other product containing it.
As reported in a study by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), it has determined that taking acetaminophen products causes liver damage. With all the toxins in our environment that our livers and kidneys have to deal with, it is essential to avoid any type of damage to these organs, especially the liver.
Hospital emergency rooms are equipped with injectable or intravenous NAC (N-acetylcysteine) to protect the liver from acetaminophen poisoning by stimulating the production of master antioxidant glutathione in the liver.
– Acidaminophen poisoning antidotes:
This is because acetaminophen depletes glutathione. If it is used up too quickly, the liver is too stressed to the point of acute liver failure. NAC supplements can be taken orally to increase or maintain your liver’s glutathione production.
In addition, food grade activated charcoal powder, taken by mouth, can effectively remove acetaminophen toxins.
Some emergency vehicles are equipped with activated charcoal powder for a variety of poisoning calls. Food grade activated charcoal powder is a great first aid product to keep on hand.